Lindsey Wilger Williams
San Mateo Dr.
- Born: Jan. 29, 1920 at Steele, Mo.
June 5, 1942, Cona (nee Barnes). Four
married children, four grandchildren.
WORK (In retirement)
- Columnist for Suncoast Media Group. Flagship:
Charlotte County Sun. Associated dailies:
Englewood Sun, Arcadia Sun, Northport Sun.
Publisher Derek Dunn-Rankin.
- Subjects: “Our Fascinating Past” --
area history. “Lindsey At Large” – offbeat
- “Byline” --
national events editorial opinion.
Onward: Early Spanish Explorers in
Fascinating Past: Charlotte Harbor
Fascinating Past: Charlotte Harbor
Wild Land” --
Wayne County, Ohio”
EXTENSIVE BOOKLETS PUBLISHED
Paths In The New Purchase” --
Indian trails of N.E. Ohio”
Of An Era” --
History Of the Telephone in Michigan”
Years of Service Above Self” – Punta
Gorda Rotary history.
Century of Mission” – History
of Punta Gorda First Presbyterian.
of Charlotte County Cultural Center.”
WORKS IN PROGRESS
of Charlotte Harbor Area Pioneer
Kids” – for grade
of the Last Caribbean Pirates” – History of Adm.
Up Down Home” – Yarns
from Boot Heel Missouri.
Fifth Saturday Anomalists – mysteries
of science, legend and history.
- Punta Gorda Historical Society -- History
- Advisory Board, Blanchard Museum of
Black History and Culture, Punta Gorda,
- Freeman Home Guild (Victorian restoration
museum), Punta Gorda, Fl.
- Rotary Club, Punta Gorda, Fl. -- membership
- College of Past District Governors,
Florida Rotary District 6960.
- Freedoms Foundation at Valley Forge,
George Washington Medal, 1973, for series
of newspaper columns relating American
history to current events.
of the American Revolution, National
Medal of Honor, 1999, for “Leadership,
Trustworthiness, Service, Patriotism.”
Historical Society, Golden Quill Award
1997, for book “Our Fascinating
Past: Charlotte Harbor Later Years.” Golden
Quill Awards 2003, 2005 for Outstanding
Continuing Series of Local History.
Award, University Club of Charlotte
County, Florida, 1995, for “dedication
to, and writings of, history and
Proclamation 1994, for “Preservation
of Historic Punta Gorda.”
- Flint Michigan Central High School,
Distinguished Alumni Award, 1995.
- Rotary International Paul Harris Fellow,
1970, by Rittman Rotary, for establishing
annual Rittman Art Show, and annual
Rittman Horse Show.
- Honorary Lt. Governor of Ohio, 1972,
by George Voinovich, now U.S. Senator..
- Rotarian of the Year, 1986, Punta Gorda
- Service Above Self Award, 1993, Punta
Gorda Rotary Club.
- Dedication Scroll, American Forestry
Assn., for research leading to
designation of Hernando DeSoto Historic
Live Oak Grove at Charlotte Harbor Town,
Ohio, Co-Citizens of the Year, 1965,
with wife Cona – me
for founding Rittman United Way,
she for Rittman-Wadsworth new hospital
drive. Only time the award has
- Key to the City, Rittman, for chairmanship
of the U.S. Bicentennial celebration.
Only time a Rittman Key has been
presented to a local citizen.
- Outstanding Service Award, 1967, American
Cancer Society, Cleveland.
- Golden Eagle Award 1964 by city of
Rittman, Ohio, for founding United
FORMER WORK CAREER
1959-1979 -- Lindsey Press, Inc., Ohio
Hometown Newspapers Group –
- Bedford Times-Register
- Maple Heights
- Hudson Times
- Stow Sentry
- Cuyahoga Falls News
- Rittman Press
- Columnist “Front And Center” --
Journalist Syndicate, 24 newspapers,
- Bell Telephone System 1946-1959:
New York -- public relations assistant
for national magazines, editor
for Bell subsidiaries monthly features
Bell, Detroit -- editorial director,
TV/radio advertising manager, news
supervisor, display/exhibit manager,
district commercial supervisor,
disaster report team, Public Service
Commission report team, labor relations
report team. Instructor on “Change
Techniques” and “Corporate
- Detroit Free Press 1945-46: General
assignment reporter, feature writer.
- Flint ( Mich.) Daily Journal 1939-1941:
SOME FORMER AFFILIATIONS
- President, Charlotte-DeSoto Foundation,
ownership and management of Florida
Southern College local campus and scholarships.
- Chmn, Charlotte County Historic Preservation
- Chmn., Punta Gorda Historic Preservation
- Board, Lifelong Learning Institute
at Edison College, Punta Gorda, Fl.;
Chmn. Distinguished Lectures Committee.
- Florida Historical Society, Board
member, Chmn. Popular History.
- Punta Gorda Revitalization Committee,
National Register of Historic Districts.
- Board, Charlotte Harbor Town Community
- Rotary Multi-District director Foreign
- Rotary Gift Of Life, Sarasota -- free
heart surgery for needy children.
- Peace River
Power Squadron – Lt.,
public relations officer west Florida,
basic boating instructor.
- Southwest Florida Archaeology Society.
- Florida Anthropological Society.
- Museum Of The Islands, Pine Island.
- Board, Barrier Islands Park Society,
- Chmn, Charlotte County, Florida Sesquicentennial
- Instructor, Creative Thinking and
Writing, Charlotte County Adult Education
- Chmn. Rotary District 6960, Literacy
- Chmn. Rotary Districict 6960, Student
- Vice-President, depot restoration
project, Old Punta Gorda, Inc.,
- President, Rittman Area Historical
- Board, Wayne County Historical Society.
- Chmn. U.S. Bicentennial Committee,
- Co-chmn. U.S. Bicentennial Committee,
- Wayne County chairman, Republican
- Republican County Chairmen Association.
- Delegate, 1968 Republican National
Convention at Miami.
Boys’ Village, Smithville.
Chmn. Public Relations.
- Board, Stark-Wayne Counties American
- Board, American Lung Association of
- Wayne County
- President, Wayne County Election Board.
- President, United Way of Rittman.
- Board, United Foundation of Summit
- President, Rittman Chamber of Commerce.
- Archivist, City of Rittman.
- President, Rittman Area Industrial
Development Corp. (non profit).
- Rittman president, Ohio Community
- Vice-president, Greater Cleveland
Weekly Newspaper Association.
- Sigma Delta Chi, Buckeye Professional
Chapter of the National Press Fraternity.
- University Club of Akron.
- Advisor, Junior Achievement Club,
- President, Rittman Rotary Club.
- Governor, 1967, Rotary District 665,
- Chairman, publications committee,
Rotary International (Chicago).
- Instructor, Rotary International Governors
Institute, Lake Placid, N.Y.
Representative at three U.S. district
- Chairman, five Rotary International
Leadership Seminars in Pennsylvania..
- Speaker, public relations, Rotary
International Convention at Montreal,
Ellenwood Lodge, Free & Accepted
- 32nd Degree, Scottish Rite Masonic
Order, Canton, Ohio.
- Masonic Shrine Club, Akron.
- Advisor, 4-H Club, Rittman.
- American Legion, Rittman Post.
- President Fine Arts Committee, Rittman.
U.S Navy 1941-1945:
- USS Eagle
27 – Yeoman First
Class (warrant officer qualified).
- USS McCann
(DE 179) --Yeoman Second Class, ship’s
- Navy Public
Relations Office, Detroit – Specialist
EDUCATION (War Interrupted)
- Associate Arts (English) Flint, Mich,
Mott Community College ( University
of Michigan affiliate).
- Post-graduate course, marketing and
public opinion surveying, Wayne State
- Flint Central
High School. News Editor semi-weekly